Search This Blog

Sunday, April 13

I know, I probably shouldn't complain about this, but...

I was reading this new blog Mormon Matters and saw this:

I’ve long thought the best talks are “front-loaded” into the Saturday session to reward those dedicated souls who are willing to give up both their Saturday as well as their Sunday to participate in eight to ten hour hours of conference over the weekend. emphasis added.

Now. I think that I know what they're trying to say here when they say "dedicated souls," but here's my beef. I have to work on Saturdays and don't have a choice in the matter. Does that make me less of a good person? This is exactly what I have a problem with when people who are presumptuous that they think they know what it's like to live in reality. Okay, it's out and now I can go on living my life.

2 comments:

Clark said...

So, who is it that is front loading the talks? Does someone read all the talks and then assign the good ones to Saturday? Or when talks and time slots are assigned, do they instruct the speakers on how good their talks should be? "Elder Smith, you'll be talking Sunday afternoon, so don't try too hard."

Furthermore, how would anyone possibly measure the goodness of a talk? It can be quite subjective.

Assuming the writer truly feels the best talks are Saturday, and that the writer participates in all 4 (or 5) sessions of conference, I offer a counter-explanation:

Anyone who watches 8 or 10 hours of conference will always think the best talks were on Saturday, because by Sunday their brain has reached saturation point and they can't tell one talk from another at that point.

Ben said...

That is hilarious and true.