I posted on Cloark's blog about how there is a group that is great for Christmas music. Their name is Straight No Chaser and they are talent and ingenuity all mixed up together. Here's the song I was referring to. In my opinion much more depth than Barenaked Ladies. Don't get me wrong, the Barenakes Ladies are great, but this is better. I think you'll agree.
4 comments:
Well, they're talented, they're creative, and boy there's a lot of them. (Reminds me of a BYU group I heard about my freshman year called the "Freshman 15". That's what happens when everyone starts inviting people into your a capella group.)
It's a bit difficult to compare them to Barenaked Ladies, as the two groups are quite different. (Instruments vs. none, style, etc.) Plus, this is a gimmick song; it's half song, half comedy routine. In order to make any sort of judgment between the two groups, I'd have to see more of Straight No Chaser.
As far as just the two songs go, I'll stick with the BNL one.
Oh, and I'm rooting for Florida, too!
That's fine on the BNL. I know talent and I've seen BNL live... not 100% impressed. The blame could be placed on external influences (i.e. drugs and alcohol). Also, since they're Canadians, doesn't that automatically make everything they do or say (bag and flag are not pronounced beg or fleg) a joke?
I'm just saying that if you want talent, here it is. Comparing them on a talent to talent perspective, Straight No Chaser wins hands down. Studios can do quite a bit to "fix" problem spots in recorded music and this was live which leaves no room for a margin of error.
Now,I don't say any of this lightly as I'm an instrumentalist and partial to instrumentalists. If you're aware of the inherent rivalry between instrumentalists and singers, you know what I mean.
PS My wife is probably going for Florida too.
Boomer!
Sooner!
Post a Comment