Search This Blog

Thursday, February 28

Medicaid, a sign of what's to come with socialized medicine

I was watching Good Morning America (due to the fact that my wife likes the show) today and they were doing a piece on this little kid in New York who was dying from a heart condition. The condition (that I didn't pick the name up) has three different causes and there is a test that is administered by one single laboratory in the US. This laboratory had not applied "properly" for New York's medicaid program, however, and the kiddo couldn't get the test because, due to the paperwork hangups, New York wouldn't pay for it and his parents couldn't afford it. This was, according to GMA, due to the beurocracy in NY's medicaid program and according to NY due to the bureaucracy of the lab. Of course, since the media got into the picture, the problem has been solved, but my problem is that once this "holy" socialized medicine kicks in and this kind of crap becomes common place, will the media cover it or since it becomes common place will the media not care anymore?

2 comments:

Kat said...

Sometimes I worry about my raving conservative of a brother. I don't disagree that socialized medicine is a bad idea, but I would say that the same issue arises with HMO's. I would suggest that this stuff is already common place for anyone who has health insurance, be it government or private. Bureaucracy exists in any type of organization. That's the real enemy.

Ben said...

point taken. However, the problem lies with insurance companies making the decisions not the doctors and the artificial shortage of docotors created by the AMA.