Wanted to let everyone out there know that Jamaica Inn is easily one of the best old movies that I've ever seen. It's one of those unknown films of Alfred Hitchcock that he must have done in the 1930s or something. Half of the dialogue was unintelligible, but hey it was an old movie. Consequently my wife, Alex and I picked the movie up at Wal-Mart (apparently hated place) for just $1. But that's not all. The movie came along with 3 other classic Hitchcock flicks: Sabotage, The 39 steps and Easy Virtue. 5 and 1/2 hours of Hitchcock fun. Forget Vertigo, North by Northwest, and Psycho (not that I watch such filth). These are the real deal. They would give Spielburg a run for his money. My wife and I stared at the screen, mouths wide open in admiration and awe. For a dollar. I can't get over it.
Anyways, since absolutely nobody else has ever seen these movies ever, I thought that I would share my take on the story. The basics of the story is that there is a group of thugs who wait until there is a large tempest at night on the coast of Cornwall, England (rocky coast by the way) who cover up a sophisticated lighthouse (a lamp on a stick) and wait for incoming ships to wreck. They then proceed to kill all of the crew (by drowning them for 2.5 seconds). The leader of these thugs is the uncle of the beautiful Mary whose parents had died only shortly before. She was from Ireland and in (to her) the strangest town which apparently consisted of 2 houses, a dirt road and a coast in that day. She rescues one of the thugs who turns out to be a marshall. Little do they know that the Judge (who lives in the other house, which is much nicer by the way) is the real culprit in the scheme. The story ends with us already knowing what's going to happen. Everybody of consequence dies or is arrested except for Mary and the Marshall. What a great story.
Ok, well I've wasted enough time on that.
4 comments:
Hooray for Hitchcock films, its the only way I'll watch a scary movie! Oh, and you forgot to mention that Mary was the only one in there without an Irish accent... funny, seeing as she was the one that was supposed to be Irish!
I'll have you know that we've got 3 DVDs of Hitchcock from before he came to the US. I think it's 6 movies total. 39 steps and various others that I can't think of at the moment. Yes, the audio is terrible, but the movies are great. I must stick up for Vertigo and the later ones, however. We loved Vertigo, it was like 2 movies for the price of one!
Did I really say that Vertigo was filth? I meant Psycho. I've heard that its great, but the whole rated R factor makes it filth. Oh and by the way, I was being a bit sarcastic.
Hitchcock is fantastic, thanks for the reminder. I do not care for most horror movies, with all their gore. But Hitchcock, now he new how to make you scared, without making you want to throw up. I think I know what we'll be doing on Halloween!
Post a Comment