Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 27

Mayors and Tennis Courts

A few couples at church have started getting together on a regular basis to do sports. They invited us to come along and we went and played tennis about 5 miles north of where we live at an apartment complex where one of the couples lives. Here in the town we live in (Warr Acres), there is a park by city hall that has tennis courts. That park is less than 1/2 a mile away from where Alex and I live. We drove by last Monday after we had played and all the lights were out. The park had a sign that said that it was open until 11pm. My wife and I are the type to look for cheap plays, so we wondered what we could do to get those lights on.

Yesterday, I went to the Warr Acres website and found a tab "contact your city." So I clicked on that and typed this letter directed to the parks service it said:

I was wondering if there was any way that we could get the tennis courts lights turned on to use them at night. I noticed that the park sign says that the park is open until 11 o'clock pm, but the lights aren't ever on. Is there any way we can indicate to someone that we would like to use the park beforehand?

Well, today I came home and checked my email and what did I behold? A letter from none other than the mayor? It said:

Dear Mr. Young, I have read your e-mail to our supervisor of the Streets & Parks Department. He says that the timers at the tennis courts had been vandalized so that the lights were not able to be turned on. He has ordered new timers and will install them as soon as possible. You will be able to set them for 30 minute play times. Please let me know if they are not installed within the next week. And thank you for bringing this to our attention. Thanks, Mayor

Well, that was pretty cool. Not very often that you hear from the head of the municipality. Good thing that we have vandalism less than 1/2 mile from our house...

No comments: