Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 15

Ender's Game

So....
I finally read Ender's Game and, yes, it was a good book. The reason I read the book is because Alex was talking with Shannon about books and how I was reading the Prydain Chronicles (Alex and I watched that most aweful movie by Disney also). The reason that I picked it up in the middle of reading about Taran and his fat pig is because I wanted something fresh to start from. I've read the Prydain Chronicles once before, and it wasn't that long ago. Anyway, I read Ender's Game and here's what I got out of it.

When I got to the second to last chapter, I started to draw on some parallels in movies and things, that I'm sure other people have picked up on. The one I want to talk about is from the movie Toys. If you don't remember that movie, it has Robin Williams (and some other famous actors that I can't remember, because I haven't seen the movie in so long). The movie is about this enormous Toy factory that the army wants to take over because they want to make toy airplanes that (if you've read Ender's Game, you already know) kids fly and destroy towns with. Fortunately, the army is exposed and nobody dies.

This book also reminds me of my friend's rocket scientist brother, Todd, who is one of the main engineers of the drones that fly over the middle east. Probably flown with the same concept as the battle "simulation" in the book.

The thing that caught my attention most about the book was the fact that the son of a Mormon committed genocide and didn't even know it. Ahh... the loss of innocense.

No comments: